Operation Warrior Wellness:
building resilience and healing the
hidden wounds of war
The nightmare of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Over half a million U.S. troops deployed since 2001 suffer from PTSD. Yet less than 20% will receive adequate care due to lack of effective treatments, fear of stigma or insufficient government resources. Half of those with PTSD won’t receive any care at all.
Left untreated, PTSD cripples functioning and places veterans at great risk for violent and self-destructive behavior, including:
- Alcoholism or drug abuse
- Severe depression, anxiety or emotional numbness
- Family and employment problems
- Suicide—today, more than 6,500 vets die by suicide every year
Creating resilient warriors
Operation Warrior Wellness (OWW), a division of the David Lynch Foundation, offers the Transcendental Meditation-based Resilient Warrior Program, a simple, easy-to-learn, evidence-based approach to relieving symptoms of PTSD and major depression and developing greater resilience to stress.
Since its initial launch in 2010, the OWW initiative has partnered with leading veterans service organizations, Army and Marine bases and VA medical centers across the country to deliver the Resilient Warrior Program to veterans, active-duty personnel and military families in need. The initiative also partners with military colleges to create a new generation of more resilient officers.
Evidence-based relief from the epidemic of mental injury
The TM-based Resilient Warrior Program has been extensively researched by over 340 peer-reviewed studies, including over $26 million in grants from the National Institutes of Health to study the program’s effectiveness for reducing heart disease. Key findings include:
- 40-55% reduction in symptoms of PTSD and depression
- 42% decrease in insomnia
- 30% improvement in satisfaction with quality of life
- 25% reduction in plasma cortisol levels
- Decreased high blood pressure–on par with first-line antihypertensives
- 47% reduced risk of cardiovascular-related mortality
How does the Resilient Warrior Program fit with military life?
The Resilient Warrior Program is an ideal fit for the military community:
- Evidence-based: Over 340 published studies document its effectiveness
- Simple to learn: Accessible to both civilian and military practitioners—standardized instruction ensures consistent results
- Easy to practice: Does not involve concentration or controlling the mind—difficult practices for those suffering intrusive thoughts and flashbacks
- Confidential and portable: Can be practiced privately, anywhere, at any time
You can help our courageous veterans
Thousands of veterans and their families are waiting eagerly—often desperately—to gain the very real, practical benefits that come from this simple, stress-reducing, health-promoting technique.
For more information go to www.davidlynchfoundation.org/military